I would like to talk for a moment about the floating head pictures from yesteryear (like the late 70s and 80s).

If you are between the ages of 20 and 35, you probably have a picture like the one above of my sweet, darling husband as a baby. There is always a cute smiling baby and then a more serious baby in profile, larger than life, floating to the left. Of course they also did this for kids too and sometimes for adults. I have one where I am floating above my sister who is holding an umbrella. It is weird and creepy and looks like the sky is raining little girls. Why, why did they do this? I've come up with a few reasons:

1. Photographers wanted to show off their genius. Way back when digital retouching wasn't even a glimmer in a photographer's eye, they did everything in a dark room. The art of photography was as much the developing as the taking. This floating head business was tricky stuff and required the exposure of 2 negatives at the same time. I really don't know too much about dark-room stuff. I am all digital for good reason!

2. Parents got 2 photos for the price of one. I think this is the main reason my mom always bought the floating head picture. She was thrilled to get 2 pictures (very pricey) in one. And two posses, serious and fun, in one. What a deal.

These really are not good reason, are they? Nope. I didn't think so. I don't know when the fad faded away like the serious likeness floating in the corner of a photograph, but I am not sad to see it go. Now with digital photography, you can afford to get more than one pose of your child -- both serious and fun. If you want a floating head picture, I am sure I could do something digitally for ya for old times sake. 

2 comments:

Grandma Sherri said...

I think you should scan one of your little girl photos and have it float above Jeffs little boy head, as if he is dreaming of you!!of course since you are 3 yars younger it may have to be an ultrasound pic!

Melanie said...

I've seen the floating head picture done effectively once: a picture of my dad's siblings was taken once, and a picture of a brother who had died was floated above. It's nice because they have a picture of all seven siblings, but you realize the one is not with them any more.